Logansport-Cass County Public Library
1890 –First library tax was levied
Nov. 1, 1894 –Library opened in a building on the present site with 1450 volumes.
1901 –Arrangements were completed with Mr. Andrew Carnegie for $35,000 to build a new library building
Aug. 1, 1904 –Work completed on new building made of Indiana Bedford stone in a classic style of architecture. The library had 14,500 volumes and loaned 30,000 volumes annually.
1918 –The library became a county library.
1920 –Steel stacks were moved to the basement for additional room and an elevator was added.
1922 –A mezzanine floor was installed with additional book stacks.
1924 –The County Book Wagon burned in a garage fire.
1926 –The mezzanine floor was enlarged with additional book stacks.
1939 –Funds left to the library by Mrs. Ruth Winters were used to remodel the interior and add a balcony. The library had 77,794 volumes and loaned 329,485 volumes annually.
March 17, 1941 –A tragic fire destroyed the building and 25,000 volumes from the collection.
Sept. 25, 1942 –The community celebrated the formal opening of the new building.
1947 –A new Indiana Library Law was passed to strengthen library service statewide.
1964 –A $150,000 new addition to the Library was completed.
1966 –The School Board converted and merged with the County Library Board under the 1947 Library Law.
1970-72 –A $246,604 Randtriever was added and a $109,997 building project was completed.
1977 –The Maiben Building was purchased for $30,000.
1982 –Annexation was completed with a microfiche room and 25,000 volumes of book shelving.